z-kaz

Meanderings of Z.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, March 13, 2006

Change

For those two or three people that are actually reading my entries, you have probably deduced that I am going through a period of change. For the most part this has been around my job and career. Throughout my working years, I have endeavored to work with really smart people, with people whose company I enjoy, for companies that I believe in, and creating solutions that could change the world.

Pretty grand, I know, but without at least a few of those I wouldn’t enjoy what I do. Since you spend more time at work than with anyone else in your life you have to make sure you are mentally and spiritually satisfied with what you do.

Over the years the place where I am currently working has gone through massive changes itself. We don’t seem to have a goal any longer. We have lost touch with our customer’s needs, and frankly the market in general. We can’t decide on a path forward to rectify the situation, and hope doesn’t seem to be in sight. To compete in the “global economy” we started to outsource engineering. We have been doing layoffs off and on for about 5 years. In that time I have seen a lot of colleagues and friends leave.

I have actually stuck around longer that I think I should have. This all goes back to my criteria above. For the most part, those all still hold true. I know that no matter where else I go I don’t be able to work with a group of individuals quite like the ones I work with now. It would almost be easier if I was forcibly thrust out the door.

The last few weeks have truly been enlightening. It is become more and more clear that there really is no game plan or master plan. Perhaps it involves things they can’t discuss in public yet, or perhaps they truly don’t have a clue. Either way, I think this lack of information should be my wake-up call. The market isn’t in the same state it was two or three years ago when technical jobs were scarce. I guess it is time to take advantage of that and move on. If I can’t find a team of people that share the same goals I outlined above, perhaps I can help create one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tambopaxi said...

.. I bailed out of my outfit last June, after almost 30 years at it. I enjoyed most of those years, luckily, but the last couple of years felt a lot like what you describe happening in your organization. The first few weeks out were disconcerting/disorienting, to say the least, but now, almost nine months later, I can tell you I'm really enjoying it

One reason for my contentment right now is that I'm involved in two separate business endeavors of my own choosing, where I'm in charge, and where I've got people I like and choose around me; what a difference. If can do that, (i.e., you have the time and money - I know, that's a luxury), give it a shot; it really makes change a lot more fun.

Closing thought I've got for you is that it sounds like it's time for you to get out and try something new. If you can afford to do so, do it; it might very well help you obtain that peace of mind lapsed cannibal talks about. Tambopaxi

March 21, 2006 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home